Monday 6 May 2013

Renovation project - A bad day at the office but there is light at the end of the tunnel!


Renovation project - A bad day at the office but there is light at the end of the tunnel!

I wake up this morning feeling a little down, I’m not sure why, we have made some progress and things seem to be moving along. But they are not moving as fast as I want them too. We start to decide what jobs we are doing and all I want to do is move downstairs, if we do that then maybe the upstairs is ready for my daughter and baby granddaughter to visit, but John says we have to go shopping as we need to get the skirting boards and architrave for the doors. I don’t want to do this I want to be finished, I want to be finished today! Then it hits me I miss my daughter and baby granddaughter so much, I have just spent a couple of weeks with them and could see them at any time, she could ring me and ask me to pop round for coffee, we could go shopping and for a walk in the park and now all I can do is Skype them or text, it is not the same! I want them here! I want to be the proud granny that can show off her first granddaughter but I can’t because I am in France.

I look around the house and think it will never be finished and I am so overwhelmed, it is at this point I have one of those moments where I question what we are doing, these moments will sneak up on you and take you by surprise, I then sit and cry to John (who is ace again) we realise that it is just a moment and we will see them again in a few weeks for the Christening and then for the holiday and then she will be able to visit whenever she wants. John tries to explain that quality is better than quantity and its true when you have to plan to visit you do spend better time together, you do things together, but at moments like this it hurts more than you can imagine. If you are going to do something like this you have to be prepared for these moments, they will sneak up on you and take you by surprise, have a plan for what you are going to do and how you will tackle them, please, please, please don’t think it won’t happen to you, because it may!

We make a plan for what we are going to do, I am much happier when I have a plan. We are going to go shopping and get all we need to finish the first floor this will help stop the feelings of being overwhelmed.

We go to Morlaix and stop by the TROC, this is a second hand furniture store that also has a lot of antiques and we see some amazing furniture.

We also have a look at the lights, this is something we are not sure about yet as we have seen so many that we like, we have looked on line and there is one site called Lights 4 Fun that we will be getting our garden lights from, this is mainly because I love fairy lights and think the patio and the apple trees will look so pretty when lit up. But we find an amazing chandelier here and it is only 18 euro’s this will look great in the living room.


We then move onto Brico depot to buy the skirting boards, these are not good quality and very expensive, so John decides to buy really good quality, thick floorboards for a fraction of the price and make the skirting boards himself, we also buy architrave and cladding for the windows in the new bedroom.

When we get out to the car we realise we haven’t put the roof rack on, as John does this he realises a bolt is missing so we manage to put everything in the car but do give up on buying the plaster board, we think we may hire a van to get all the remaining supplies in one go.


I feel much better once we are home, we have a clear plan and I can see light at the end of the tunnel, I go for another bike ride and then relax in the deepest bubble bath with a glass of wine and one of my new books. I think it will all work out well.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny & John, my husband and I renovated an old presbytery in south west France in 2003. Every morning, like yourselves, we allocated each other jobs for the day. It was hard work I remember the floor sanding which took place in a heat wave! Sometimes, like you, I missed our two grown up kids and would have loved to be part of their daily lives. When you are finished, however, and they come to visit, you'll find that you have created a great place to relax and have fun together as a family! Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather

      thank you for your message, yes it is difficult at times but as you say it will be worth it.
      your message cheered me up so much, the idea of random strangers taking time to speak to somebody who is feeling down is still amazing and really appreciated

      are you still in France?

      take care

      Jenny :)

      Delete
  2. Awwwwwwwwwww I teared up when I read this, no doubt your ok now!! Love the chandelier, you & your chandeliers I remember the one you had in the last house it was stunning!!! All the trails & tribulations your experiencing is to be expected when achieving a project on the scale you two are!! You've both come such a long way, I'm really proud of you and no doubt both of your families are. It's a great read and gives one an insight into the day to day hiccups, emotional roller coaster ride and successes. Wont be too long until your reaping the benefits, actually wont be long until Poppy is running through the many rooms and the beautiful garden!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jacqui, yes I am much better now luckily the bad times don't last long and yes the kids will love being over here, once we are finished.
    the chandelier is ace lol
    xxx

    ReplyDelete